Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the closure of school sites in the Spring of 2020, our local LTA elections for Executive Board and Rep Council were delayed until Fall 2020. Given the continuing pandemic and school site closures, we will be splitting the Fall 2020 election into two parts.
First, Site Rep elections will be held within each school site.
LTA Site Reps Timeline for Elections will be:
1.If you are interested in serving as a Site Rep, contact Elections Chair, Ruth Culqui, no later than Tuesday, September 15, 2020 by 4:00 pm.
2. Site Rep elections will be conducted electronically from Monday, September 21 – Wednesday, September 23. Please look for an email from BigPulse.
Second, we will hold the election for the following Executive Board positions – President, 1st Vice-President of Contractual Affairs, 2nd Vice-President of Academic Affairs, and (to fill a vacancy) Treasurer.
LTA Executive Board Timeline for Elections will be:
1.Friday, September 11, 2020 – Announcement
a. Announcement of vacancy(ies) and term(s) of office using a method that will ensure each member is aware of the opportunity to file a declaration of candidacy;
2. Thursday, September 17, 2020 (extended to Friday, September 18, 2020) – Declarations of Candidacy
a. Place, time and date of receipt (date received, not date postmarked) for declaration of candidacy forms; Written declarations of candidacy must be emailed and received by Ruth Culqui at by 4pm.
b. Campaign statement of candidates (decide on limit of number of words, and what to do if limitation is exceeded); Candidate statements will be limited to 50 words or less. In case a candidate submits a statement exceeding 50 words, only the first 50 words will be included on the Candidates’ Statement sheet.
c. Provision for elections committee chairperson or designee to be present to receive declaration of candidacy by filing deadline; Ruth Culqui will be available to receive declarations of candidacy by email by 4pm on Thursday, September 17, 2020. Declarations (form) will only be submitted to Ruth Culqui via e-mail prior to the deadline.
3. Thursday, September 17, 2020 (extended to Friday, September 18, 2020) – Final date to acknowledge Candidates’ Declaration of Candidacy
a. Final date to acknowledge candidates’ declaration of candidacy; Candidates will be announced on Wednesday, September 30, 2020, no later than 4pm, via the LTA website
4. Friday, September 25, 2020 – Big Pulse Prepares Electronic Ballots
a. Date for preparation of ballots;
5. Monday, September 28 – Wednesday, September 30, 2020 – Electronic ballots sent out via email
a. All electronic ballots will be emailed to LTA bargaining unit members on Monday, September 28 to Wednesday, September 30, 2020 by Big Pulse.
6. Monday, September 28, 2020 – Wednesday, September 30, 2020 – Election will be held electronically
a. Date(s) when voting will take place electronically; Electronic voting will close Wednesday, September 30 at 4:00 p.m. Please look for an email from BigPulse.
7. Wednesday, September 30, 2020 – Ballots results will be reviewed electronically
a. Date, time and place where ballots will be counted, which should be immediately following the deadline for receipt of voted ballots;
***Election results will be reviewed on Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. held via virtual platform. If you wish is view the election result via a virtual platform, email Ruth Culqui by September 28, 2020 no later than 4:00 p.m.
8. Wednesday, September 30, 2020 – LTA Results Announcement
a. Date that announcement of results shall be made to leadership, candidates, members, and posted at each work site, which date shall be not later than five (5) calendar days following the counting of ballots; Results will be posted on the LTA website on Friday, October 2, 2020, no later than 5pm, and emailed to all school sites on Wednesday, September 30, 2020 no later than 7 p.m.
9. Tuesday, October 6, 2020 Run-off Elections
a. Dates and timelines for run-off election, if necessary; and
Run-off election (if necessary) = Tuesday, October 6, 2020 – Wednesday, October 7, 2020 Ballots received electronically reviewed = Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 3:30pm
Results announced = Wednesday, October 7, 2020, no later than 5pm
10. Thursday, October 15, 2020 – Election Challenges
a. Deadline for filing of challenges to initial election and run-off if held (date received, not date postmarked). Written challenges must be filed and emailed by Thursday, October 15, 2020 by 8 a.m. to Ruth Culqui.
11. Procedural Components should include the following
a. Method by which Declaration of Candidacy(ies) are submitted (emailed only)