The results of last weeks’ Special Election have been counted and tallied. Congratulations to Guadalupe Laguna, the new LTA Vice-President of Curricular Affairs!
- Category Archives IPD
Friday, September 23, 2016 was the deadline for candidates to submit Declaration of Candidacy forms for the upcoming special election for LTA Vice-President of Curricular Affairs. The following teachers submitted their names:
- Guadalupe Laguna (Felton) –
Elections will be held at all school sites Tues, 10/4 – Thurs, 10/6.
Interested in advocating for teacher involvement in district curricular decisions? LTA currently has a vacancy in the position of Vice-President of Curricular Affairs. We will be holding a special election to fill the position October 4-6. Please see below for details about the position (term, responsibilities, stipend, etc.), how to declare candidacy and by when, and the rest of the election timeline.
The Elections Committee must determine the following prior to setting the election timeline:
- Method by which declaration of candidacies are submitted (mail, hand delivered, fax); Declaration of Candidacy forms must be received by Ann Chaffey at Jefferson Elementary by 4pm on Friday, 9/23/16. Declarations may be submitted via e-mail or hand delivery.
- Provision for elections committee chairperson or designee to be present to receive declaration of candidacies by filing deadline; Ann Chaffey will be available to receive declarations of candidacy 3:15pm – 4pm on Friday, 9/23/16, at Jefferson Elementary. Declarations may be submitted to Ann Chaffey prior to the deadline via e-mail or hand delivery.
- Campaign statement of candidates (decide on limit of number of words, and what to do if limitation is exceeded); Candidate statements will be limited to 50 words or less. In case a candidate submits a statement exceeding 50 words, only the first 50 words will be included on the Candidates’ Statement.
- Whether declaration of candidacy must be accompanied by a campaign statement, or whether the statement will be solicited later. If later, a deadline date must be established; Declarations of candidacy must be accompanied by a campaign statement of no more than 50 words, and submitted by the Friday, 9/23/16, 4pm, deadline.
- Procedure for distributing election guidelines/rules to candidates; Election guidelines and rules will be posted on the LTA website and at all school sites on LTA bulletin boards.
- Announce that the names are to be listed according to CTA alphabet; Names will be listed according to CTA alphabet.
- Method of distribution of ballots; Ballots will be distributed to non-running Site Reps and Professional Relations Reps on Monday, 10/3/16. Non-running Site Reps and Professional Relations Reps will make ballots available to members for on-site voting during non-contract hours before school, at lunch and after school Tuesday, 10/4/16 – Thursday, 10/6/16. Mail-in ballots will be sent via mail on Saturday, 9/24/16, to those members on dues paying leave who request them in writing by 4pm on Friday, 9/23/16. Written requests for mail-in ballots must be received either by Ann Chaffey at Jefferson Elementary or delivered to the Association post office box [Lennox Teachers Association, PO Box 2231, Hawthorne, CA 90251].
- If not provided in governance documents, election will be decided by majority vote. If a candidate does not receive a majority vote, a run-off election shall be conducted between the candidates receiving the highest number of votes. The names on the ballot will be one (1) more than the number of vacancies to be filled.
- Schools/work sites on alternative calendars shall be considered when setting election timelines.
- The election begins with the announcement of vacancy(ies) and terms of office and cannot be stopped until the conclusion of the election, including run-offs if necessary.
- A Timeline for Elections shall include the following:
- Announcement of vacancy(ies) and term(s) of office using a method that will ensure each member is aware of the opportunity to file a declaration of candidacy; Vacancy = Vice-President of Curricular Affairs
• 2-year term
• Member of the Executive Board
• Responsibilities include:
• Serve as assistant to the President in all duties of the President;
• Assume the duties of the President in the absence of the President and the Vice President of Contractual Affairs (i.e., serve as “Second” Vice President);
• Serve as co-coordinator of committee activities as directed by the President;
• Serve as Chairperson of the Membership Committee and keep an accurate roster of the Membership; and
• Serve as Chairperson of the Instruction and Professional Development Committee, preparing the agenda for meetings, facilitating meetings, and distributing minutes from meetings to the general Membership.
• Stipend = $750/yr.
- At least fifteen (15) calendar days between the announcement date of the vacancy(ies) and the date of the election; Announcement = Thursday, 9/8/16; Election = Tuesday, 10/4/16 – Thursday, 10/6/16 (26 days after announcement)
- Place, time and date of receipt (date received, not date postmarked) for Declaration of Candidacy forms; Declarations of Candidacy forms must be received by Ann Chaffey at Jefferson Elementary by 4pm on Friday, 9/23/16 via e-mail or hand delivery.
- Final date to acknowledge candidates’ declaration of candidacy; Candidates will be announced on Friday, 9/23/16, no later than 8pm, via the LTA website.
- Date for preparation of ballots; Ballots will be prepared on Saturday, 9/24/16.
- Date on which ballots will be distributed; Ballots will be distributed to non-running Site Reps and Professional Relations Reps on Monday, 10/3/16.
- Date by which to request a mail-in ballot; Written requests for mail-in ballots must be received either by Ann Chaffey at Jefferson Elementary or delivered to the Association post office box [Lennox Teachers Association, PO Box 2231, Hawthorne, CA 90251] by 4pm on Friday, 9/23/16. Mail-in ballots will be sent via mail on Saturday, 9/24/16, to those members on dues paying leave who request them by the above deadline.
- Date(s) when voting will take place; On-site voting will take place Tuesday, 10/4/16 – Thursday, 10/6/16.
- Deadline date (date received, not date postmarked), time and place for return of ballots; Completed ballots must be must be received by Ann Chaffey at Jefferson Elementary by 4pm on Thursday, 10/6/16. Mail-in ballots must be delivered to the Association post office box [Lennox Teachers Association, PO Box 2231, Hawthorne, CA 90251] by 4pm on Thursday, 10/6/16.
- Date, time and place where ballots will be counted, which should be immediately following the deadline for receipt of voted ballots; Ballots will be counted on Thursday, 10/6/16 at 4:30pm at Jefferson Elementary.
- Date that announcement of results shall be made to leadership, candidates, members, and posted at each work site, which date shall be not later than five (5) calendar days following the counting of ballots; Results will be posted on the LTA website on Thursday, 10/6/16, no later than 8pm, and posted at all school sites on LTA bulletin boards on Friday, 10/7/16.
- Dates and timelines for run-off election, if necessary; and Run-off election (if necessary) = Tuesday, 10/11/16 – Wednesday, 10/12/16. Ballots received/counted = Wednesday, 10/12/16, 4:30pm. R esults announced = Wednesday, 10/12/16, no later than 8pm.
- Deadline for filing of challenges to initial election and run-off if held (date received, not date postmarked). Written challenges to initial election and run-off must be filed by Tuesday, 11/1/16 at 8am with by Ann Chaffey at Jefferson Elementary.
LTA was featured in the Dec 2013/Jan 2014 edition of CTA’s California Educator magazine because of our work with Common Core and our uniquely high level of involvement in decision making regarding Common Core implementation, based on our MOU with the district.