All proposed changes to the LTA Bylaws were discussed and adopted by the LTA Rep Council on Thursday, April 6, 2017 after the proposed changes were posted on LTA website and Facebook group for a month and shared with members during 10-minute meetings at each school site. The updated Bylaws can be fund (and downloaded) by following the “LTA Bylaws & Standing Rules” link in the menu bar at the top of this page.
- Category Archives bylaws
Last year the LTA Rep Council updated our bylaws, making some minor changes and adding language to better define and fund our Political Action Committee (the Lennox Teachers Association Fund for Quality Education). Revisions were shared with the membership and approved by Rep Council on June 9, 2016. Over the summer, the bylaws were sent to CTA for review, and CTA returned them with some recommendations. We spend the fall reviewing CTA’s recommendations, making a few changes, deciding to keep other things, and re-submitted our bylaws to CTA for approval in December. On January 7, 2017, CTA approved the second draft of our bylaws. The next (and final) step in updating our bylaws is to return them to our membership for review, and for Rep Council to vote to approve them again.
Per Article XVI: Amendments of the LTA Bylaws, Rep Council must be notified one month in advance of any vote to change the bylaws – that notice was given by the LTA President at the March 9, 2017 Rep Council meeting last week, and the vote to approve the final amendments will take place at the April 6, 2017 Rep Council meeting. Any amendments to the bylaws require the approval by 2/3 majority of Rep Council.
LTA members are encouraged to review the proposed amendments and give feedback to your Site Reps regarding the changes. Members are also welcome to attend the April 6, 2017 Rep Council meeting (and all other Rep Council meetings) to share their thoughts on the changes directly with Rep Council. Below is a brief summary of the proposed amendments:
Article VI: Rep Council
- Adds “active member” requirement, adds “adopt local standing rules” to responsibilities, adds “recommended by EBoard” to establishing/discontinuing committees, allows electronic meetings for dissemination of information but not voting
Article VII: Site Reps
- Changes wording of Rep formula (no change to formula)
Article VIII: EBoard
- Changes quorum from “3” to “majority”
Article IX: Officers
- Adds “at the beginning of the year” to BTeam, PAC, Elections, and other committee appointments
Article X: Bargaining Team
- Changes purpose to “bargain for,” adds “at the beginning of the year” to appointments, creates a list of alternate BTeam members, puts surveying members back in Bylaws (instead of Standing Rules)
Article XI: PAC
- Adds “at the beginning of the year” to appointments
Article XII: Committees
- Adds “at the beginning of the year” to appointments
Article XIII: Elections
- Adds not even Pres can cancel elections, adds description of composition and appointment of Elections Committee
Article XIV: Grievances
- Changes grievance process to EBoard “adopts with approval of” Rep Council
Article XV: General Meeting
- Drops required annual meeting, allows electronic meetings for dissemination of information but not voting
And here are the complete texts of the proposed LTA Bylaws changes as well as CTA’s review and recommendations of our June 9, 2016 bylaws update.
The LTA Rep Council is in the process of updating our LTA Bylaws. Rep Council is considering a few changes to better meet the needs of our union and our members. Below is a summary of the main changes that have been proposed:
Bylaws – (future amendments would require notification of all members and posting for 1 month before Rep Council could vote; Rep Council would need to approve by 2/3 majority)
- Clean-up Bargaining Team language, make it more similar to other committees, including PAC
- Establish PAC in the Bylaws, along with a $2/month/member contribution and opt-out procedures
Standing Rules – (future amendments could be made at any Rep Council meeting by simple majority vote)
- $50 longevity bonuses for Site Reps who return for a second year to encourage longer commitments and discourage frequent turn-over in Site Reps, and thus, LTA leadership
- More clean-up of Bargaining Team language, provision for sharing Bargaining Survey results with Rep Council after negotiations have concluded
- PAC composition, procedures, and process for recommending candidates and ballot initiatives for endorsement
- Add a provision to election rules to waive the need to hold election in uncontested Site Rep elections (now allowed by CTA)
Rep Council has been researching and refining the proposed changes for several months, and Site Reps have shared drafts with their schools during 10-minute meetings to gather feedback and answer questions. Now that Rep Council has finalized the proposed language, it’s time for members to consider the proposal as a whole and give Site Reps their final opinion. Rep Council will vote on the proposal at the June Rep Council meeting, in time to factor any changes into the 2016-2017 LTA Budget, which will also be approved at the June Rep Council meeting. Your opinion is important; Site Reps, LTA, and the Bylaws represent you. Please review the proposed changes and give feedback to your Site Reps, or, if you prefer, contact me directly, or join us at the June 9th Rep Council to share your opinions with the whole Rep Council.
Rep Council approved a couple of changes to the LTA Standing Rules last night (the Standing Rules are part of the LTA Bylaws and Standing Rules document and govern the day-to-day operations of the Association)
1. Include policies already approved by Rep Council last year
- Formally recognize in the Standing Rules special ed preschool teachers and TOSAs as special faculty groups who get a Rep on Rep Council
- Add the attendance requirement to the description of Rep’s responsibilities (attend 8 out of 10 Rep Council meetings, -$10 from stipend for each missed meeting after that)
2. Additional changes
- Add LTA’s mailing address and web page address to the Standing Rules
- Re-arrange the order of business at Rep Council meetings to bring Site Reports, the Membership Report, and the Treasurer’s Report earlier
- Amend the limit on the President’s credit card to avoid the $15 monthly fee
Last spring the LTA Rep Council approved amendments to the LTA Bylaws bringing them into compliance with CTA requirements and making a few changes in the structure of our Executive Board. The next step in the process was to submit the new Bylaws to CTA for approval. CTA reviewed the changes and returned the new Bylaws to LTA with a few more minor changes we needed to make – a couple of wording changes, moving some of our local rules out of the Bylaws and into the “Standing Rules” portion of the document, and updating our election rules (which aren’t technically part of the Bylaws, so we didn’t do that last year). I formally presented the final revision to Rep Council at the last Rep Council meeting on February 13, and Reps will be voting to approve the Bylaws at the next meeting on March 13. I am also posting the revisions here so the membership at large may see them before Reps vote. I’ve color-coded the CTA requested additions and deletions. If you have any comments or questions, please contact your Site Rep, or contact me directly.
President, Lennox Teachers Association