Announcing the following vacancies in Lennox Teachers Association leadership and governance:
Secretary – 2-year term [member of Executive Board]:
- Is responsible for the formation and distribution of the Association’s calendar of activities;
- Keeps a careful and accurate roster of the membership of all committees and of meeting attendance;
- Keeps a careful and accurate record of the proceedings of each meeting, regular or special, of the Association, the Representative Council and Executive Board;
- Is responsible for the distribution of notices of meetings and of agendas and minutes for all meetings to members of the Representative Council and Executive Board, and to the Membership when appropriate;
- Maintains the Association’s webpage and monitors/moderates its social media presence; and
- Carries on correspondence pertaining to the affairs of the Association as directed by the President
- Stipend = $750/yr.
Treasurer – 2-year term [member of Executive Board]:
- Receives all funds belonging to the Association and is responsible for their safekeeping and accounting;
- Pays out such funds upon orders of the President;
- Prepares a written financial report for each regular meeting of the Representative Council and Executive Board;
- Is responsible for an annual audit of the books of the Association and distributing a summary of this audit to the Membership;
- Is responsible for submitting membership and financial reports to CTA, NEA and other agencies as required by law; and
- Files state and federal tax returns for the Association
- Stipend = $750/yr.
Site Representatives – 1-year terms (based on formula in the LTA Bylaws, currently = 2 per elementary site, 4 at LMS, 1 at preschool, and 1 for TOSAs for a total of 16 positions) [members of the Representative Council]:
- Conduct constant and ongoing liaison between the Representative Council and Active members at the school site;
- Serve as the official channel through which written communications and publications can be easily and quickly transmitted between the Association and the Active members;
- Represent the views and the input of the Active membership in votes taken in the Representative Council, conducting frequent and regular polls of such membership for this purpose; and
- Perform such additional duties as prescribed by the Executive Board.
- Stipend = $200/yr. + an additional $50/yr. if re-elected to consecutive terms after the first.
Election deadlines and timeline:
- Announcement of vacancy(ies) and term(s) of office using a method that will ensure each member is aware of the opportunity to file a declaration of candidacy: Announcement = Fri, 3/29/19
- At least fifteen (15) calendar days between the announcement date of the vacancy(ies) and the date of the election: Election = Thurs, 5/9/19 – Fri, 5/10/19 (40 days after announcement)
- Place, time and date of receipt (date received, not date postmarked) for declaration of candidacy forms: Written declarations of candidacy must be received by Kylie Liu at Moffett Elementary by 4pm on Fri, 4/12/19
- Final date to acknowledge candidates’ declaration of candidacy: Candidates will be announced on Fri, 4/12/19, no later than 5pm, via the LTA website
- Date for preparation of ballots: Ballots will be prepared on Tues, 4/30/19
- Date on which ballots will be distributed: Ballots will be distributed to non-running Site Reps and Professional Relations Reps on the morning of Weds, 5/8/19
- Date by which to request a ballot: Written requests for mail-in ballots must be received either by Kylie Liu at Moffett Elementary or delivered to the Association post office box [Lennox Teachers Association, PO Box 2231, Hawthorne, CA 90251] by 4pm on Tues, 4/30/19. Mail-in ballots will be sent via regular mail on Sat, 5/1/19, to those members on dues paying leave who request them by the above deadline
- Date(s) when voting will take place: Voting will take place on Thurs, 5/9/19 – Fri, 5/10/19
- Deadline date (date received, not date postmarked), time and place for return of ballots: Mail-in ballots must be delivered to the Association post office box [Lennox Teachers Association, PO Box 2231, Hawthorne, CA 90251] by 4pm on Thurs, 5/9/19; Completed ballots cast in person at regular voting sites must be received by Kylie Liu at Moffett Elementary by 3:30pm on Fri, 5/10/19.
- Date, time and place where ballots will be counted, which should be immediately following the deadline for receipt of voted ballots: Ballots will be counted on Fri, 5/10/19 at 3:30pm at Moffett Elementary
- Date that announcement of results shall be made to leadership, candidates, members, and posted at each work site, which date shall be not later than five (5) calendar days following the counting of ballots: Results will be posted on the LTA website on Fri, 5/10/19, no later than 5pm, and posted at all school sites on LTA bulletin boards on Mon, 5/13/19
- Dates and timelines for run-off election, if necessary: Run-off election (if necessary) = Thurs, 5/16/19 – Fri, 5/17/19; Run-off ballots received/counted = Fri, 5/17/19, 3:30pm; Run-off results announced = Fri, 5/17/19, no later than 5pm
- Deadline for filing of challenges to initial election and run-off if held (date received, not date postmarked): Written challenges must be filed by Tues, 5/21/19 at 8am with Kylie Liu at Moffett Elementary.
Procedural components include the following:
- Method by which Declaration of Candidacy(ies) are submitted (mail, hand delivered, fax): Declarations of candidacy (form) must be received by Kylie Liu at Moffett Elementary by 4pm on Fri, 4/12/19. Declarations of candidacy (form) may be submitted via e-mail or hand delivery.
- Procedure for distributing election guidelines/rules to candidates: Election guidelines and rules will be posted on the LTA website and at all school sites on LTA bulletin boards.
- Campaign statement of candidates (decide on limit of number of words, and what to do if limitation is exceeded): Candidate statements will be limited to 50 words or less. In case a candidate submits a statement exceeding 50 words, only the first 50 words will be included on the Candidates’ Statement sheet.
- Method of distribution of ballots: Ballots will be distributed to non-running Site Reps and Professional Relations Reps on the morning of Wed, 5/8/19. Non-running Site Reps and Professional Relations Reps will make ballots available to members during non-contract hours before school, at lunch and after school on Thurs, 5/9/19 – Fri, 5/10/19; Mail-in ballots will be sent via regular mail on Weds, 5/1/19, to those members on dues paying leave who request them by 4pm on Tues, 4/30/19. Written requests for mail-in ballots must be received either by Kylie Liu at Moffett Elementary or delivered to the Association post office box [Lennox Teachers Association, PO Box 2231, Hawthorne, CA 90251].
- Whether declarations of candidacy must be accompanied by a campaign statement, or whether the statement will be solicited later. If later, a deadline date must be established: Declarations of candidacy must be accompanied by a campaign statement of no more than 50 words, and submitted by the Fri, 4/12/19, 4pm, deadline.
- Provision for elections committee chairperson or designee to be present to receive declaration of candidacy by filing deadline: Kylie Liu will be available to receive declarations of candidacy 3:15pm – 4pm on Fri, 4/12/19, at Moffett Elementary. Declarations (form) may be submitted to Kylie Liu prior to the deadline via e-mail or hand delivery.
- Announce that the names are to be listed according to CTA alphabet: Names will be listed according to 2018-2019 CTA alphabet.
- If not provided in governance documents, election will be decided by majority vote. If a candidate does not receive a majority vote, a run-off election shall be conducted between the candidates receiving the highest number of votes. The names on the ballot will be one (1) more than the number of vacancies to be filled.
For more information on election rules and timelines, including campaign Do’s and Dont’s, please refer to the LTA Bylaws and Standing Rules and the CTA 2018-2019 Local Elections Manual.