Your LTA Bargaining Team – led by Lisa Rubio (Huerta), with Justin Catalán (Moffett), Gary Moore (LMS), Jim Nadler (LMS) and Andrew Staiano (CTA) – has reached a Tentative Agreement with the district.
Tentative Agreement Highlights
ARTICLE 6: COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Increases salaries by 2% permanently, retroactive to July 1, 2016, for a total salary increase of 11% over the last 3 years.
- Increases extra-duty hourly pay rate to $40/hr.
- Three-year MOU changing the fully district-paid health plan to the lowest cost employee + 1 plan (currently Kaiser Base), and applies that same dollar amount to all other plans, until June 2019.
|Kaiser Base (Tier I)||Employee||$492.07||$492.07||$0.00|
|Employee + 1||$984.14||$984.14||$0.00||< 2016-2019 MOU “reference plan”|
|Kaiser Plus (Tier II)||Employee||$547.11||$547.11||$0.00|
|Employee + 1||$1,176.30||$984.14||$192.16|
|Health Net Base (Tier I)||Employee||$611.22||$611.22||$0.00|
|Employee + 1||$1,314.13||$984.14||$329.99|
|Health Net – EOA (Tier II)||Employee||$655.56||$655.56||$0.00|
|Employee + 1||$1,409.44||$984.14||$425.30|
|Health Net – PPO||Employee||$1,416.82||$984.14||$432.68|
|Employee + 1||$3,046.33||$984.14||$2,062.19|
ARTICLE 7: WORK YEAR & HOURS OF EMPLOYMENT
- For 2017-2018 and 2018-2019, district will offer 2 voluntary PD/planning days before school starts in August, paid at $350 per day, with at least 3 hours for individual planning time, and 2 voluntary PD/planning days during the school year, paid at $350 per day, with at least 1½ hours per day for individual planning time. [MOU]
- For 2017-2018 and 2018-2019, maintains at least 75% of preschool/elementary PE time for teacher-directed planning and collaboration (the LCAP currently calls for 2 PEs/week, so 75% = approx. 6 out of 8 PEs/month). [MOU]
- For 2017-2018 and 2018-2019, maintains 1 period of planning time for middle school teachers. [MOU]
- Clarifies and reorganizes some existing language defining the teacher work day, student dismissal times, minimum days, and super minimum days.
- Rejects district proposal allowing staff meetings to end at 4 pm.
ARTICLE 9: CLASS SIZE
- For 2017-2018 and 2018-2019, maintain the following grade-span student-teacher ratios [MOU]:
- TK-1 20:1 o 4-5 27:1
- 2-3 24:1 o 6-8 29:1
- Includes “overage stipend” compensating teachers whose grade-span and individual class-sizes exceed the averages above ($100 each for 1st and 2nd students over and $200 each for 3rd and 4th students over).
ARTICLE 10: LEAVE PROVISIONS
- Accepts district-proposed language updating maternity leave and family leave to reflect changes in state and federal statutes.
ARTICLE 14: PEER ASSISTANCE AND REVIEW PROGRAM
- Eliminates language on state-funded PAR program.
ARTICLE 15: STAFF DEVELOPMENT BUY-BACK DAYS
- Eliminates language on state-funded buy-back days.
ARTICLE 18: SCHOOL LEADERSHIP
- Accepts district proposal to schedule SLT meetings after school, removes “staffing priorities” from the SLT purview, and rephrases “consensus” language; rejects district proposal to eliminate “student discipline policies and school safety” from SLT purview.
ARTICLE 25: TERM
- Postpones opening full contract for renegotiation until 2019-2020 school year, reopening 3 articles plus compensation in 2017-2018 and 2018-2019.
If anyone has any questions, the Bargaining Team will conduct two question-and-answer sessions, one Thursday, September 22, after school in the LMS library, and one Monday, September 26, after school in the Jefferson cafeteria; all unit members are welcome to attend either meeting.
The ratification vote on the Tentative Agreement will take place at school sites on Monday, September 26, and Tuesday, September 27, at lunch and after school. Once approved by the LTA membership, the Tentative Agreement should go to the School Board for approval on October 7, and once approved by the School Board, the new payscale could be implemented as soon as our second paycheck in October. Teachers will receive a separate retro check for the difference between the old payscale and the new payscale for the time they have already worked this school year. Benefits deductions will be adjusted going forward, and anyone who has effectively “overpayed” because the cost of their selected plan has gone down will have those overpayments credited toward future payments this year (and if the cost of your plan has dropped to zero, you will receive a refund). Unfortunately, it is too late to change plans this year, but you will be able to change plans next year if you want to take advantage of the lower rates for the employee + 1 and family plans for the duration of the MOU.
Thank you to the LTA Bargaining Team for all your hard work on our behalf.
download the LSD 9/20/16 AM counterproposal
download the LTA 9/20/16 AM counterproposal
download the LSD 9/20/16 PM counterproposal